Osteopathy for Knee Pain
Knee Pain has many different causes, different symptoms, and different methods of treatment. The most common symptoms are pain referring to one or both knees and typically originate from joint compression, arthritis, muscular strain, ligament sprain, or direct trauma to the area. Your Osteopath will do a full examination of the area to determine the root cause of your symptoms and can then recommend the best form of treatment.
Causes of Knee Pain
There are a variety of causes of Knee Pain, these can include (but are not limited to);
- Muscle Tension: in the lower back, buttocks, legs, or hips
- Pinched Nerves: compression of the nerves as they exit the lumbar (lower back) spine and cause radiation of pain into the knees and surrounding muscles
- Joint Fixation: when joints in the lower back, sacroiliac joints or hips become fixated, this can lead to pain or discomfort in the knees
- Stress: excessive physical or mental stress can cause tight muscles or increased inflammation
- Trauma: falls, trips, and whiplash are just some types of trauma
- Osteoarthritis: arthritic changes in the knee joints can cause knee pain and stiffness
- Overuse: repetitive movements, heavy lifting or awkward lifting can cause a muscular strain
Other causes can include;
- Knee Instability
- Bakers Cyst
- Ligament tear or strain
- Joint Misalignment
- Local Pain
- Joint Catching
- Referred Pain
- Shooting Pain
- Stabbing Pain
- Muscle Spasm
- Shaking or limb
- Limited Range of Motion
- Pain with Movement
- Muscle Loss
- Local Swelling
- Difficulty or pain walking
Treatment for Knee Pain
The type of treatment suitable for knee pain primarily depends on the cause of your symptoms. Every day people visit Osteopaths with knee pain and evidence shows that Osteopathic treatment is effective at treating knee pain. During your New Patient Appointment, your Osteopath will assess your body, complete a medical and symptom history, allowing them to provide a working diagnosis. There may be occasions where Osteopathy is not the right solution for you, and in this event, we will refer you to the correct health practitioner (e.g. General Practitioner).
Osteopathy care can include;
- Spinal Manipulation
- Joint Articulation
- Massage Therapy
- Soft Tissues Release
- Trigger Avoidance Mechanisms
Osteopathy is available at Littlehampton Natural Health Centre Monday to Friday.
For more information on pricing, please click here
Not sure whether Osteopathy is the right option for you?
If you’re unsure whether Osteopathy treatment is the right option for you, please come in for a FREE Assessment where we can discuss the reason for your visit, perform a brief examination and explain how we may be able to help. To book this FREE consultation please contact the clinic on 01903 734373, or click below to book online.