Osteopathy for Lower Back Pain
Lower back pain has many different causes, different symptoms, and different methods of treatment. The most common symptoms in this region typically originate from joint compression, disc injury, muscular strain, ligament sprain, or direct trauma to the area. Your Osteopath will do a full examination of the area to determine the root cause of your symptoms and can then recommend the best form of treatment.
Causes of Lower Back Pain
There are a variety of causes of Lower Back pain, these can include (but are not limited to);
- Muscle Tension: this be in the upper back, buttocks, legs, or lower back
- Pinched Nerves: compression of the nerves as they exit the lumbar (lower back) spine and cause radiation of pain into the legs
- Joint Fixation: when joints in the lower back become fixated, this can lead to pain or discomfort in the lower back
- Stress: excessive physical or mental stress can cause tight muscles or increased inflammation
- Trauma: falls, trips, and whiplash are just some types of trauma
- Disc Herniation: slipped (prolapsed) or bulging lumbar discs can press on the nerves in the lower back
- Poor Posture: slumped posture on the sofa, at your desk, or long periods in awkward positions
- Overuse: repetitive movements, heavy lifting or awkward lifting can cause a muscular strain
- Lower Back Pain
- Sharp / Stabbing Pain
- Buttock Pain
- Muscle loss, tension, weakness, pain, or spasm
- Hip Pain
- Leg Pain / Numbness (pins & needles)
- Limited Range of Motion
- Local Pain
- Referred Pain
- Pain with Movement
- Local Swelling
- Difficulty Walking
- Clicking, Popping or Crunching from the back
Treatment for Lower Back Pain
The type of treatment suitable for lower back pain primarily depends on the type, location, and cause of your symptoms. Every day people visit Osteopaths with lower back pain and evidence shows that Osteopathic treatment is effective at treating lower back pain. During your New Patient Appointment, your Osteopath will assess your body, complete a medical and symptom history, allowing them to provide a working diagnosis. There may be occasions where Osteopathy is not the right solution for you, and in this event, we will refer you to the correct health practitioner (e.g. General Practitioner).
Osteopathy care can include;
- Spinal Manipulation
- Joint Articulation
- Massage Therapy
- Soft Tissues Release
- Trigger Avoidance Mechanisms
Osteopathy is available at Littlehampton Natural Health Centre Monday to Friday.
For more information on pricing, please click here
Not sure whether Osteopathy is the right option for you?
If you’re unsure whether Osteopathy treatment is the right option for you, please come in for a FREE Assessment where we can discuss the reason for your visit, perform a brief examination and explain how we may be able to help. To book this FREE consultation please contact the clinic on 01903 734373, or click below to book online.